Re: make 3.81beta4 does not assume extension .exe for non-phony targets

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make 3.81beta4 does not assume extension .exe for non-phony targets in contrast to make 3.80
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:38:19 -0500

%% "Angel Tsankov" <address@hidden> writes:

  at> I've just built make 3.81beta4 for Cygwin using the build_w32.bat
  at> file in the root folder. I noticed a difference in the behaviour
  at> from version 3.80 (downloaded and installed with the cygwin setup
  at> utility - setup.exe, version 2.510.2.2).

Please be aware that the version of GNU make that ships with the Cygwin
toolset has been modified in some ways by the Cygwin team.  It is not a
simple "port" of GNU make to Cygwin: there are also behavioral changes.

  at> 1. a simple makefile like this is needed:
  at> test:
  at>  @echo $@ is not up-to-date

  at> 2. a test.exe file is needed in the same folder as the makefile;

  at> 3. version 3.80 works like this:
  at> make
  at> make: `test' is up to date.

  at> 4. version 3.81beta4 works like this:
  at> make
  at> test is not up-to-date

Eli etc. will have to give a final determination; however, I personally
don't think the Cygwin behavior is correct.  There's no way for GNU make
to know whether any given target should end in .exe or not: often target
files are not programs.

If you want to create a program and your system requires programs to end
in a given suffix, IMO you should put the suffix into the makefile.

But, as I say, it's up to Eli and the other DOS/Windows/etc. port
maintainers.