Re: Make CVS (Win32) improperly leaves batch files with -n

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Make CVS (Win32) improperly leaves batch files with -n
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 07:33:19 -0500

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  ez> all:
  ez>   cd "c:\\foo bar" && frobnicate baz

  ez> (The double \\ is because Make requires that.)

Just curious: why do you say make requires this?  In UNIX, at any rate,
no backslash munging is done on commands.  In fact the only characters
that are special to make in a command is "$" (which you escape with
"$$") and a backslash before a newline (and that only to continue the
line).

Does the Windows port do more than that?