Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta4 released
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:27:19 +0200

> From: "Markus Mauhart" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:29:12 +0100
>
> >> Btw, such successfull "-j 64"-build then sometimes uses ~50 compilers
> >> in parallel - with my 1GB this is no problem with msvc71, while yet "-j 3"
> >> is
> >> a big problem with mingw-gcc344 (both -O2).
> >
> > What do you mean by ``a big problem''?  Could you tell the details?
>
> consuming (allmost) too much memory - with mingw-gcc344 I had to stop it
> cause it would take at least 100 times the "-j 1" time, and even with "-j 4"
> I stopped it after ~1m cause 4 compilers sometimes concurrently touching
> phys-RAM * 1.2 (1.5 including the rest of the system) is a significant
> performance problem, at least with winXP.

I tried "make -j" with MinGW building a program that needed 18 C
source files to be compiled and then linked into a single executable.
I don't see the problems you describe.  All I see is several
compilations being started in parallel; the build takes 3 seconds,
which in this case is not an improvement wrt the non-parallel build,
but it's not slower, either.

How much time does it take for the average GCC compile of a single
file in your case, and how much time does it take with MSVC, for the
package you were building?