Re: W32 Warning disabled, and updated vcproj file

From: J. Grant
Subject: Re: W32 Warning disabled, and updated vcproj file
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 00:01:13 +0000

Hiya

On 15/01/06 12:28, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:41:02 +0000
From: "J. Grant" <address@hidden>

A query, and a patch. Also attatched txt files of the current warnings
from MSCV debug/release build.

Thanks.

I've looked at the warnings, and while a few of them need to be fixed,
the absolute majority is just compiler whining about perfectly valid
code.  How many of these warnings go away if you reset the warning
level back to /W3, the way it was before it was bumped up to /W4 in
beta4 (for the reasons I cannot understand)?

It's been set on /W4 for quite a while (since 2005-07-03), I think we
should keep it on this.  We can selectively disable warnings which are
not genuine problems to address. Some are from glob.c, so we could change
that back to /W3 in build_w32.bat if Paul prefers not to change glob.c.
(I can change the vcproj to /W3 for glob.c, and also fnmatch.c if we're
all happy.)

For that matter, why not disable some of the more annoying false
warnings in config.h.W32?  For example, "FOO uses old-style
declarator" or "logical operation on address of string constant".

You're right, old-style declarator should be off, not sure about the
latter one though, it is because of the streq macro which expands to
code which compares the address, does it need to do this as well as the
strcmp ? (I hope we can change all of these macro's to functions as part of
the ISO C clean-up work in 3.82...)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/C4130.asp

Paul, could we add to config.h.W32 with the others please:

#pragma warning(disable : 4131) /* uses old-style declarator */
#pragma warning(disable : 4102) /* unreferenced label */

Kind regards
JG