Re: W32 Warning disabled, and updated vcproj file

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: W32 Warning disabled, and updated vcproj file
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 11:43:54 -0500

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  ez> I've looked at the warnings, and while a few of them need to be
  ez> fixed, the absolute majority is just compiler whining about
  ez> perfectly valid code.  How many of these warnings go away if you
  ez> reset the warning level back to /W3, the way it was before it was
  ez> bumped up to /W4 in beta4 (for the reasons I cannot understand)?

  ez> For that matter, why not disable some of the more annoying false
  ez> warnings in config.h.W32?  For example, "FOO uses old-style
  ez> declarator" or "logical operation on address of string constant".

As soon as 3.81 is released, I'll be cleaning up the software to conform
to ISO 90 C.  Support for original K&R C will be removed.  GNU make is
one of the last GNU programs to still support K&R C, and many of the
libraries, etc. it relies on or will rely on don't support it any longer
anyway.  It's time to move on.

That should help with lots of warnings.

But, please refrain from worrying about this for the 3.81 release.
Warnings are annoying but they're just warnings, and as Eli says, the
code is (for the most part) perfectly legal.

Also, there's an excellent chance that I'll be switching from CVS to
something else for SCM in 3.82.  Savannah is offering Arch support.  I'm
not thrilled with this because it has lots of issues (including very
poor support for non-UNIX operating systems) so I'm hoping they'll also
support some other tools soon.  However, I really want a newer SCM in
particular one that will do move/rename operations properly so I can
rearrange the code more easily.  We'll see.

  >> make-3.81beta4\dir.c(635) : warning C4701: local variable 'st' may be
  >> used without having been initialized

  ez> Yes, that's a real trouble, but it was already fixed in the past, so
  ez> I'm bewildered how it got back to us again.

Hm... did I lose a patch?  That code hasn't been changed since it was
added, back in 2002.