Re: W32 Warning disabled, and updated vcproj file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: W32 Warning disabled, and updated vcproj file
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 07:28:32 -0500

> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:41:02 +0000
> From: "J. Grant" <address@hidden>
>
> A query, and a patch. Also attatched txt files of the current warnings
> from MSCV debug/release build.

Thanks.

I've looked at the warnings, and while a few of them need to be fixed,
the absolute majority is just compiler whining about perfectly valid
code.  How many of these warnings go away if you reset the warning
level back to /W3, the way it was before it was bumped up to /W4 in
beta4 (for the reasons I cannot understand)?

For that matter, why not disable some of the more annoying false
warnings in config.h.W32?  For example, "FOO uses old-style
declarator" or "logical operation on address of string constant".

> I noticed this warning:
>
> make-3.81beta4\dir.c(635) : warning C4701: local variable 'st' may be
> used without having been initialized

Yes, that's a real trouble, but it was already fixed in the past, so
I'm bewildered how it got back to us again.

I will try to submit patches today to fix some of the real warnings.