Re: [Mingw-users] Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefi

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefined reference to `sleep'"
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:06:14 +0000

Eli Zaretskii wrote, quoting Paul D. Smith:
>> build.sh was never ported to Windows; it doesn't have the requisite
>> bits to work with the Windows subdirectories.  If someone wanted to
>> fix this they'd need to change build.sh.in to DTRT on a Windows
>> system.
>
> A simple way to DTRT on Windows is to invoke "build_w32.bat gcc".
> I don't see why go through the trouble of preparing yet another
> script to bootstrap Make on Windows, especially since build_w32.bat
> doesn't require any non-standard utility except what is required to
> compile and link C programs, not even a Unixy shell.

I completely agree with this.

You mentioned build.sh, as a means to bootstrap a make build on UNIX;
since MSYS aims to deliver a UNIXy environment on Windows, I thought
I would give it a whirl, just to see how far it would get, which
appears to be not far at all.  I WASN'T suggesting that it SHOULD be
MADE to work.

Since I can achieve a successful build under MSYS, either by using the
conventional `./configure && make' approach, or by using build_w32.bat
invoked as `cmd //c build_w32 gcc', I see no point in expending any
additional effort to get build.sh working for MSYS.

I cannot reproduce the OP's "undefined reference to `sleep'", (as I've
already stated previously); however, in case you would like to clean up
the sources, I see the following WARNINGS, when building by either of
these methods:--

In file included from glob/glob.c:810:
glob/glob.c: In function `glob':
glob/glob.c:197: warning: passing arg 0 of `my_realloc' from incompatible
pointer type
In file included from glob/glob.c:929:
glob/glob.c:197: warning: passing arg 0 of `my_realloc' from incompatible
pointer type
In file included from glob/glob.c:985:
glob/glob.c:197: warning: passing arg 0 of `my_realloc' from incompatible
pointer type
In file included from glob/glob.c:1375:
glob/glob.c: In function `glob_in_dir':
glob/glob.c:197: warning: passing arg 0 of `my_realloc' from incompatible
pointer type

Additionally, for the build_w32.bat case only, I see:--

main.c: In function `handle_runtime_exceptions':
main.c:671: warning: long unsigned int format, PVOID arg (arg 5)
main.c:679: warning: long unsigned int format, PVOID arg (arg 6)
main.c: In function `main':
main.c:954: warning: statement with no effect
main.c:955: warning: statement with no effect

job.c: In function `reap_children':
job.c:538: warning: label `remote_status_lose' defined but not used
job.c: In function `start_job_command':
job.c:1086: warning: null format string
job.c:1409: warning: label `error' defined but not used
job.c: In function `exec_command':
job.c:2031: warning: int format, HANDLE arg (arg 3)
job.c:2031: warning: int format, HANDLE arg (arg 4)

getopt.c: In function `_getopt_internal':
getopt.c:683: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'

Regards,
Keith.