Re: [Mingw-users] Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefined reference to `sleep'"
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 19:14:04 +0200

> Cc: Keith MARSHALL <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Keith MARSHALL <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 10:50:52 +0000
>
> >> You will, if you try to run *.bat files under MSYS; they simply do
> >> not live there, in any natural sense
> >
> > Which is IMNSHO a bug in MSYS.  (Compare that with the DJGPP port
> > of Bash, where batch files would run with no problems at all.)
>
> Well, to express a `not so humble opinion' from such a clear position
> of ill informed ignorance is, IMHO, simply a statement of arrogant
> stupidity.

I don't think I qualify as ignorant about porting GNU software to DOS
and Windows.  As for stupidity--that's something for others to decide.
However, to keep the argument out of ad hominem domain, perhaps you
should point out where's the stupidity without actually using the
label as offending as that.

> Does bash on GNU/Linux, or on any other POSIX platform process
> Windows/MS-DOS format *.bat scripts?  No?  Then why on earth would
> you expect it to do so on MSYS?

Because MSYS runs on Windows, where there's a known interpreter for
batch files, and because there's absolutely no reason for the MSYS
port of Bash to be gratuitously harsh to Windows users, which expect
batch files to ``just work''.

> The ability to do so is clearly beyond the scope of its stated
> design objectives

If MSYS design objectives are limited to running Unix scripts, then so
be it; but I think it's a gratuitous limitation, which can be easily
lifted.

> Yes, even `cmd //c build_w32 ...' might also work; the `start' variant
> is used to run the cmd.exe task as a background process.
>
> > And what's with the doubling of the slash in "//c"?
>
> Clearly stated in MSYS documentation, if you took the trouble to
> research the facts, before leaping into print to show off your
> ignorance; the doubled `/' is required to prevent MSYS from
> translating `/c' to `c:/', before handing it off as an argument
> to cmd.exe.

Another bug/misfeature, IMNSHO: MSYS has no business second-guessing
the user's intent and assuming that "/c" must be a file name.