Re: [Mingw-users] Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Mingw-users] Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefined reference to `sleep'"
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 20:51:18 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, "Markus Mauhart" <address@hidden>,
>       Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> From: Keith MARSHALL <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 12:51:24 +0000
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Do I understand correctly that you built the MinGW port of Make by
> > running "./configure; make" from the shell's prompt?  If so, then
> > that's not how you should do it.  Instead, run the build_w32.bat batch
> > file from cmd.exe, like this:
> >
> >     build_w32 gcc
> >
> > (The file README.W32 explains this, I think.)
>
> Maybe, but under MSYS, MinGW builds are supposed to be accomplished
> by using a conventional
>
>       ./configure && make

I don't know about ``supposed to''; AFAIK, GNU Make didn't support
MinGW builds out of the box until such a support was added in
3.81beta3.  Besides the configury stuff, there were quite a few nasty
warnings from the compiler, and Make would completely go awry if you
interrupted it with a Ctrl-C.  Not to mention the fact that there was
not a word in any README in the tarball that would suggest how to
build a MinGW port of Make.  The Windows-related documentation
mentioned MSVC and it alone.

Besides, I think a tool so basic as Make, which is a prerequisite to
building other tools, should have a simple build procedure that
doesn't require a working Make, a port of Bash, and other utilities
that are hard to find on Windows.  Even Unix has build.sh.

> This ugly kludge ...
>
> > Make sure you delete config.h before you do this, so that
> > build_w32.bat will copy config.h.W32 to config.h and use that.
>
> should not be necessary for MSYS users, IMNSHO.

It is not necessary if you use build_w32.bat, either.

> > If I build the MinGW port with build_w32.bat, I don't have any
> > problems.
>
> You will, if you try to run *.bat files under MSYS; they simply do
> not live there, in any natural sense

Which is IMNSHO a bug in MSYS.  (Compare that with the DJGPP port of
Bash, where batch files would run with no problems at all.)

> (however,
>
>       start cmd.exe //c build_w32 ...
>
> might work).

What's wrong with a simpler "cmd.exe /c build_w32"?  And what's with
the doubling of the slash in "//c"?