Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefined referenceto `s

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: make'ing make-3.18beta4 under mingw/msys - "undefined referenceto `sleep'"
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:26:49 +0100

Eli Zaretskii writes:

  . add "^()" to sh_chars_dos[] in job.c
  . use '^' to escape special characters such as \ and " in job.c
  . removes the code fragment in main.c that forces job_slots = 1 if
sh.exe is not available [...] In this message: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/make-w32/2005-02/msg00089.html
Paul refers to "a bunch of discussion about this one by Eli etc.", but
I cannot find these discussions in the archives.

I vaguely remember it, but could not find it either :-(
I'm willing to add the code that will enable -j only if the version of
cmd.exe is new enough to support it, but to do that, I need first to
understand the details of the problem and how the suggested patch
tries to resolve it.  TIA.

That would be the best thing.
One possibility is to check if it is "cmd.exe" and not "command.com".
Win98 still had the latter COMSPEC and could not accept the ^ escape.
I'm not sure about NT3.5, but would hope cmd.exe syntax didn't change.
Happy new year
Ale