Re: make 3.80: variables from environment

From: Angel Tsankov
Subject: Re: make 3.80: variables from environment
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:48:10 +0200

From: "Angel Tsankov" <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:39:02 +0200

> Please show a complete (but preferably short) test case that
> exhibits
> this problem.
>
>> Is this behavious expected?
>
> No, I don't think so.

I hope the attachment is not corrupted.

I tried your test case, and it worked for me, both with Make 3.80
and
the beta3 pretest of Make 3.81.  Both messages are displayed:

   Lower variables are accessible from a makefile.
   Uppercase variables are accessible from a makefile.

This is on Windows XP SP2.

What is your Windows version?  It's possible that your Windows shell
upcases environment variables (COMMAND.COM used to do that).

Im not sure I get the sense of your last sentence:(

My system is the same - Windows XP SP2 (with auto updates turned on).
I even performed the tests after a reboot and I got the same results -
only the second message is displayed.
Btw, I'm using a cygwin (www.cygwin.com) build of make. This is the
result of executing "make --version":
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

I then ran the test agains 3.81beta3 and it DID displayed all two messages as expected. One more question: Is version 3.81 expected to be released soon? If so, when?