Re: Installing and Using make-3.80.tar.gz

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Installing and Using make-3.80.tar.gz
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:38:53 -0400

%% "address@hidden" <address@hidden> writes:

  jnc> I'm usually able to figure things out quite easily, but I'm
  jnc> completely lost as to how to install and use the
  jnc> "make-3.80.tar.gz" package I've downloaded on my Windows XP
  jnc> system.  I've tried to read various pages with step-by-step
  jnc> instructions on how to set it up and use it, but can't get past
  jnc> the initial steps of running "configure", trying to use a
  jnc> different binary make version, specifying the source and
  jnc> destination folders, using the "makefile" file, the "install"
  jnc> file, and who knows what else.  To be honest, I'm quite lost and
  jnc> baffled and completely confused with this, and really don't know
  jnc> where to turn.

You are looking at the instructions for building on UNIX.  You don't use
configure, etc. on Windows (generally, and certainly not in 3.80).

Look at the README.W32 file for instructions on building in a WINDOWS32
environment.

You should probably try the latest beta of the new version: there are
some problems with 3.80 on Windows:

    ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/make/make-3.81beta3.tar.gz