Re: WINDOWS32 "Signal 127" due to a path in quotes bug

From: J. Grant
Subject: Re: WINDOWS32 "Signal 127" due to a path in quotes bug
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:51:20 +0100

Hi Eli,

Thanks for your quick reponse.

I could not replicate the "Signal 127" message, I could replicate "Error
127", maybe the different win32 build options effect this in a way that
it is incorrectly named as a "Signal" 127 error.

All I can say is that I cannot reproduce even the "Error 127" message
with the MinGW build of GNU Make 3.81 beta3.  I get "Error 2", which
is entirely reasonable (it's the Windows code for "file not found").

Did you run with -j8?

[...]
Note that only the second test causes the "error 127" thing.  So I
submit that this error code comes from the ported shell that you use
(what port of which shell is that, btw?).  In other words, it's not a
Make issue, it's an issue with your port of sh: it returns 127 when it
fails to run this command.  The shell I use (a port of zsh) returns 1
in that case, which is what I'd expect.

It is the MSYS /bin/sh.exe, GNU bash v2.04.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-make/2003-09/msg00006.html
I found an old email from Paul indicating return codes:

  > 0
  >    Successful completion.
  > 1
  >    The target was not up-to-date.
  > >1
  >    An error occurred.

Is there a standard convention for zsh failing to exec then? (1) ?

The only convention I know of is 0: success, >0: error.  GNU Make is
using 2 to indicate it could not exec.  I am not sure if those POSIX
make return codes cover other applications as well.

Kind regards
JG