Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:54:33 +0000

On 6:51:41 pm 2005-06-30 "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> wrote:
> %% "Earnie Boyd" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   >> > >    Could we use ``sh -c 'pwd -W''' for the mingw32 target?
>
>   >> >   What is this -W option to pwd?  None of the varieties of pwd
>   >> >   I have supports it: neither the one from Coreutils, nor the
>   >> >   Bash or zsh built-ins.
>
>   >>  The -W is a MSYS specific hack to bash builtin pwd to display
>   >>  the windows path and will only work with build environment of
>   >>  mingw32.
>
>   eb> Ok, modifying run_make_tests.pl to add the -W switch brings us
> to   eb> 38 failed tests in 18 categories.  I'll send Paul the
> tests/work   eb> result.
>
> Tom Kronmiller sent me an email suggesting we use the Cwd.pm module.
> I checked my oldest version of Perl 5 (5.002, circa 1996 or so) and
> it did contain Cwd.pm so this is pretty portable as long as we don't
> need to work with Perl 4.  In 2005 that doesn't seem like a difficult
> requirement; I'm not even sure the test suite works with Perl 4
> anymore anyway.
>

> So, to test this (everyone who runs the regression tests on any
> platform) please edit the get_this_pwd subroutine in the
> run_make_tests.pl file add this at the top:
>
>   use Cwd;
>
> and change this line:
>
>       chop ($__pwd = `pwd`);
>
> to this:
>
>       $__pwd = getcwd;
>
> and see if that works.

<scenario>
$ perl
use Cwd;
$__pwd = getcwd;
print "__pwd = `$__pwd`\n"
__pwd = `/usr/src/make-3.81beta3`
</scenario>

No, getcwd is part of the MSYS runtime and the MSYS perl is dependent on
MSYS runtime.

Why?  Because perl scripts with unix paths need translated to win32 paths.

<version>
$ perl -v

This is perl, v5.6.1 built for msys

</version>

But as I've already said, changing the testing scripts for this release
just for mingw/MSYS isn't feasible.  Figuring out methods to execute the
script is though so that later versions will be able to do the right thing.

Earnie