Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:51:41 -0400

%% "Earnie Boyd" <address@hidden> writes:

  >> >  What is this -W option to pwd?  None of the varieties of pwd I have
  >> >  supports it: neither the one from Coreutils, nor the Bash or zsh
  >> >  built-ins.

  >> The -W is a MSYS specific hack to bash builtin pwd to display the
  >> windows path and will only work with build environment of mingw32.

  eb> Ok, modifying run_make_tests.pl to add the -W switch brings us to
  eb> 38 failed tests in 18 categories.  I'll send Paul the tests/work
  eb> result.

Tom Kronmiller sent me an email suggesting we use the Cwd.pm module.  I
checked my oldest version of Perl 5 (5.002, circa 1996 or so) and it did
contain Cwd.pm so this is pretty portable as long as we don't need to
work with Perl 4.  In 2005 that doesn't seem like a difficult
requirement; I'm not even sure the test suite works with Perl 4 anymore
anyway.

So, to test this (everyone who runs the regression tests on any
platform) please edit the get_this_pwd subroutine in the
run_make_tests.pl file add this at the top:

  use Cwd;

and change this line:

      chop ($__pwd = `pwd`);

to this: