Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: GNU make 3.81beta3 released
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 03:44:35 +0000

On 2:05:58 am 2005-06-29 "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> wrote:
> %% "Earnie Boyd" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   eb> Ok, thanks.  13.5KB small.
>
> Hm.
>
> OK, looking at the first failed regression test I happened upon, the
> only difference is that the "base" file, which is what the regression
> suite (perl) prints out as the "known-good output", is using UNIX line
> endings (LF), while the "log" file, which is what GNU make prints out,
> is using DOS/Windows line endings (CRLF).
>

> This rings a bell with me; I think we've run into this before.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?  We need
> to get Perl to generate files with CRLF line endings, or GNU make to
> generate output with LF line endings, or diff to ignore lines that are
> different only by having a CR (^M) at the end.
>

> Anyone?

I tried a number of things I might suggest but none with any result I was
expecting.  I.E. the number of failures were the same.

The MSYS diff considers ^M a white space when -w is given to diff.  That
didn't help.  There is a /lib/binmode.o in the MinGW runtime that when
added should make the files read and write UNIX mode, that didn't help
either.  I'll think about it some more.

Earnie