Always remake target

From: Casper Hornstrup
Subject: Always remake target
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:30:32 +0200

Hi.

I have a makefile, called makefile, and a tool that builds another makefile
(okay, it does a little more than that), called
makefile.auto. Makefile ensures that makefile.auto is regenerated using
dependencies on makefile.auto.

Now I need to always regenerate makefile.auto, but only for specific goals (all
and empty goal - i.e. default goal).

So in short. If I run "make module1", I want make to only regenerate
makefile.auto in case one or more of its dependencies are
remade. If I run "make" or "make all", I want to always remake makefile.auto
before any target that depend on it is remade.

How can this be done?

Pseudo makefile is below:

.PHONY: all
all: makefile.auto module1