RE: Bug report: Compile with Microsoft and Intel compiler

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Bug report: Compile with Microsoft and Intel compiler
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:48:02 -0400

%% Jerker Bäck <address@hidden> writes:

  jb> ??? You mean to make an empty "dummy" unistd.h for Windows
  jb> machines in w32/include or create a custom windows unistd.h? Your
  jb> great suggestion of using "HAVE_STDLIB" instead of all these #if
  jb> defined(...) is enough, I think, at least for the MS
  jb> compiler.

For the MS compiler maybe.  But that's not the model that GNU autoconf
uses.  They don't test for platforms, they test for individual
features.  In the UNIX world it's quite possible to have a system where
getenv() is there, but not strerror(), etc. so a single #define for
"STDLIB" is not expressive enough.

I don't understand why we can't just update the config.h.W32 file to
contain the proper #defines for Windows, if they are all essentially
static and don't need to be checked.

PS. Jerker, if you could subscribe to the mailing list that would help:
    since you're not subscribed I have to approve all your email which
    delays it.

    If you want to read the list through a different medium you can
    subscribe, then disable delivery in your subscription so your
    messages don't get moderated, but you also don't get mail.

    If you have subscribed under a different email then you can add this
    address as an alternative to your account.

    Thanks!