RE: Results of running tests with GNU make 3.81beta2

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Results of running tests with GNU make 3.81beta2
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:17:10 -0400

%% Jerker Bäck <address@hidden> writes:

  >> I don't know much about the Windows system, but as far as I
  >> know no one has gotten all the regression tests to run on Windows.

  jb> Nehep, that does not really feel so good.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that there are bugs in the Windows
version of make that are found by the regression suite.  There may be,
of course, I don't know.  However, what I DO know is that in the cases
where someone has investigated the failures so far they've turned out to
be differences in the environment between UNIX and Windows: features
that aren't available but that the regression tests still check for, or
the regression tests themselves use some UNIX capabilities such as
symbolic links or shell commands that don't exist or work differently on
Windows, etc.

I would like to have the regression tests get a 100% pass rate on
Windows but for that to happen someone is going to have to investigate
how to reproduce or rewrite the functionality which is failing.