Re: Portable makefiles - portable shell commands?

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: Portable makefiles - portable shell commands?
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 15:05:27 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> > Date: Sun,  3 Apr 2005 15:10:24 +0200
> > From: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden
> >
> > All that I'm still really concerned about is the portability of the
> > shell commands that are used e.g. for the "clean" targets
>
> The only truly portable way is to write a portable C program that
> would perform operations like rm etc.,

A portable rm already exists.

> and distribute it with your package.
> Then arrange for the makefile to build that program first,
> before you do anything else.

That won't work well: One would get something like the following

   C:\blah>gmake -n clean
   cc -c -o rm.o -c rm.c
   cc -o rm.exe rm.o
   rm rm.o rm.exe

Personally, I distribuite a zip containing a (less than minimal)
set of win32 executables, including gmake.exe, needed for building
my software.

As a side effect, that increases GNU software installations.