RE: Dependencies on directories on NTFS volumes

From: Casper Hornstrup
Subject: RE: Dependencies on directories on NTFS volumes
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:20:34 +0100

My problem is that I need to support putting generated files into another
directory. I mirror the source directory structure based at a directory
selectable by an environment variable named ROS_INTERMEDIATE. I have the
intermediate output files (*.o, *.a, *.coff) depend on their parent
directories and have rules for creating the directories if they don't exist.
Actually, there is another environment variable ROS_OUTPUT that works the
same way. The files that are in this tree are *.exe, *.dll, and *.sys.
ROS_INTERMEDIATE and ROS_OUTPUT can be equal or be different. For instance
they may be on separate disks (possibly RAM disks) for fast automated
builds. This works on FAT volumes, but not on any other type of filesystem
it seems.

I could have a big directories target that would create all the directories,
and not have any other target depend on it. This would be okay for automated
builds, but for daily work it would be very annoying to have to remember to
do a "make directories" every time the directory structure changes.

Casper