Re: PATH vs. Path ([Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]

From: David Baird
Subject: Re: PATH vs. Path ([Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:07:32 +0200

> > Running (a slight modification of) your test makefile reveals yet another
> > error of this beta: $(MAKE) needs those backslashes! Without them the
> > cmd.exe shell doesn't work. I added a line with literal path, i.e.
>
> cmd.exe will work with / if you quote the argument.
>
> C:\>dir "c:/Software Center/Common Files"

It seems that writing make files for Windows is getting more an more
complecated, with many exceptions. Also, make files written for 3.80
and earlier most likely will not work with 3.81. Writing make files
should not be riddled with so many rules like, if you want to use a
directory separator, then you must place the entire filename in
quotes.

-David