Re: PATH vs. Path ([Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]

From: David Baird
Subject: Re: PATH vs. Path ([Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:19:32 +0200

> > > Currently, in find_and_set_default_shell (main.c) when the SHELL variable
> > > or default shell ends with "cmd.exe" or similar variant, it is explicitely
> > > accepted. Hence this point should be fixed already.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm not following you.  Could you please elaborate: what is the
> > problem with accepting cmd.exe?
>
> There is no problem. (Except it is not unixy.) I think thaty code is
> relatively
> new and perhaps the need-to-set-SHELL problem David was complaining abaut
> has been fixed by it.

The find_and_set_default_shell change is from a patch I submitted for
GNU Make 3.80, so I am well aware of what it does, and unfortunately,
it doesn't fix the Path problem on its own.

I am using the following make file to test the impact of my own
changes on the code. My Path variable in before running make includes
the WinRel directory of the source tree, and I call make so it is
found in the Path (and not in the current directory). I select the
setting of PATH or Path, and I noticed that make will set each
individually. I think that is the source of problems, and can create a
situation where PATH and Path definitions differ.

-David

w32_cmd_path.mak
==================================

SHELL = cmd.exe

export PATH := C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS
export Path := C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS

$(shell $(MAKE) -v 1>&2)
$(shell echo + 1>&2)
$(shell echo + Path shell = %Path% 1>&2)
$(shell echo + 1>&2)
$(shell echo + PATH shell = %PATH% 1>&2)
$(shell echo + 1>&2)

all:
        -$(MAKE) -v
        @echo +