Re: PATH vs. Path ([Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: PATH vs. Path ([Fwd: Returned mail: see transcript for details]
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:43:38 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> [...]
> I asked for details of your reasons for setting Path _precisely_
> because I wanted to have a better understanding of how Path is used in
> Makefiles: it is clear that if the value of Path outside Make is okay,
> there should be no need to modify it inside the Makefile.

One of the goals of the original Rob Tulloh's implementation was to
allow ':' as a separator. (He arrived to the point to explain how to
disambiguate directory names consisting of a single character by
rewriting them as "X/." rather than "X" so that in "X/.:/Y/." the
colon could be parsed properly...)

However, I've also never seen setting PATH in the makefile. It is not
a portable setting, particularly across different OSes.