Re: win32 'Path'

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: win32 'Path'
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 07:31:33 -0500 (EST)

<quote who="Eli Zaretskii">
>> Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:48:58 +0200
>> From: David Baird <address@hidden>
>>
>> > Regarding the win32 "Path" discussions. I noticed that even though my
>> > system environement variable is called "PATH". When i type "set" in a
>> > cmd.exe, I still see "Path" as the variable name.  This is how it
>> > appears in the 3.81 beta make as well I noticed.
>>
>> This is my observation as well. CMD.EXE forces the name to Path, and
>> seems to be case sensative. If you set PATH and Path in a make file,
>> it is the Path variable which gets recognized by CMD.EXE.
>
> So it sounds like we need to make PATH handling shell-sensitive.
> Which is what Make does now, so I wonder what is the problem with the
> current code.  Can someone tell what we should fix there and perhaps
> even post a suggested patch?

And can someone explain to me why MSDN, the documented Windows authority,
speaks of PATH and not Path?  Every sample I could find mentioned PATH.  I
have yet to find a sample that mentions Path!

Now I need to go find out if make is using the spawn C runtime family or
the CreateProcess Windows API family.  If the former, we need to use the
spawnpe or spawnlpe functions and specify the environment variables with
envp.  IIRC, you can do the same with CreateProcess.

Earnie

--
http://www.mingw.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw