Re: make 3.81 MinGW port and testsuite working with MSYS

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: make 3.81 MinGW port and testsuite working with MSYS
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 21:39:11 +0200

> Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:04:32 -0500
> Cc: "J. Grant" <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>    address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
>
> Unless there is a reason it can't be done, I would like to see all the
> different handling of Windows/DOS/OS2/MINGW/etc. consolidated as much as
> possible.  It seems to me that in this particular case they should all
> be doing basically the same thing, and it should be wrapped in the
> HAVE_DOS_FILENAMES or whatever... no?

They should all use the same code, yes.  Whether HAVE_DOS_FILENAMES is
the condition to use here, I don't know (does EMX define that?); but
it certainly would be a good candidate.

>   ez> and it will fail if it gets something like "C:\foo\bar\MAKE.EXE"
>   ez> (i.e., if ".EXE" is in upper case).
>
> I thought about that, too, but left it as-is.
>
> I guess I was assuming that ARGV[0] would be provided by the OS in some
> sanitized format where some of these checks were not necessary.

This cannot be trusted: you never know whether Make is invoked from a
shell or from another program, nor what that other program could put
into Make's argv[0].  It's better not to rely on that.