Re: Schedule for GNU make 3.81

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Schedule for GNU make 3.81
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:20:25 -0500

%% Alessandro Vesely <address@hidden> writes:

  av> I had the same problem with the executable being deleted, but I
  av> don't think it is anyhow related to line terminations.

I found a bug in the test program that causes this, and fixed it
yesterday.

  >> It seems like the simplest thing to do, from a portability
  >> standpoint, would be for the regression test Perl script to fix up
  >> the output file itself, before invoking diff on it.

  av> This must deped on the perl port. With ActiveState Perl (for
  av> win32) I got both base and log files correctly terminated with
  av> \r\n. Thus, no problems with diff on that.

Hm.  The problem is that today, the base file is written by Perl and the
log file is written by make.  In any environment where they don't write
the same type of line ending you'll get problems.

My idea would have both files ultimately written by Perl.  So in theory,
the line ending formats should always match.

  >> It seems like it should be simple enough to rewrite the
  >> run_command_with_output() sub in test_driver.pl to first capture
  >> the output rather than redirecting it to the file, then
  >> translations can be made to the output, then it could be written to
  >> the file.

  av> Otherwise, both base and log could be translated just before (or after)
  av> running diff. Another quirk that translation can solve is backslashes:

  av>  D:\tmp\TOOLS\make\make-3.81beta2\tests\work\features>head -2
recursion.log
  av>  C:\UTIL\GMAKE.EXE: Entering directory
`D:/tmp/TOOLS/make/make-3.81beta2/tests'
  av>  C:/UTIL/GMAKE.EXE -f work/features/recursion.mk foo

  av> I wouldn't consider this an error; it might be signalled as a
  av> warning (in the sense that it is probably an error of the test
  av> script.) After running diff, one can translate both files and, if
  av> that fixes it, count a warning.

Hm.  Maybe the thing to do is for make itself to translate the pathnames
to always have "/" instead of "\"?  Not sure if that will help.