Schedule for GNU make 3.81

From: psmith
Subject: Schedule for GNU make 3.81
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 01:45:41 -0500

Hello all;

The time has come, and past, to get GNU make 3.81 out the door.  Here is
the schedule I am committing to: there WILL be a release of GNU make
3.81 on or about March 1, 2005.

Today I am announcing the second beta release of GNU make 3.81.  It's
available from my web site, here:

    http://make.paulandlesley.org/make-3.81beta2.tar.bz2
    http://make.paulandlesley.org/make-3.81beta2.tar.gz

Checksums are:

    3d3ebdcca1cbb1e0515620dda83b7e85  make-3.81beta2.tar.bz2
    5dec862d82b993d73d93153e0a4ae414  make-3.81beta2.tar.gz

This release contains all current bug fixes and new features.

There WILL BE more bug fixes (and possibly new features) before the
release of 3.81.  Starting next Thursday (24 Feb) I've arranged some
free time and I'm going to work diligently to close as many open bugs,
etc. as possible.  I'm not committing to fixing every bug currently
reported, but I'll do as many as I can before the release.

By the end of the day Sunday (27 Feb) at the latest I will produce (and
announce here) a 3.81rc1 release candidate.  I will to give two business
days for people to download and test this release, so if you're
interested in the stability of GNU make on platforms other than Solaris
and Linux, please be prepared to commit some time to building/testing on
Monday, 28 Feb and/or Tuesday, 1 March.

During that time I will resolve all reported portability issues I can,
and any regressions introduced, and then make the official release.  I
will only create a second release candidate if there are serious,
disruptive issues with the first release candidate.

So, please try this beta with your favorite platform and makefiles.  If
you have been sitting on bugs, now is the time to report them.  If you
have patches, now is the time to get them confirmed and sent in.  I know
there have been some patches for W32 posted over the last few months but
there has not seemed to be any firm decision by W32 users as to whether
they're appropriate, so I haven't applied them; it would be good to get
some consensus around this over the next week.

Cheers!

- --