Re: gnu make -jobs note building in parallel

From: J. Grant
Subject: Re: gnu make -jobs note building in parallel
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 00:57:35 +0000

Hi Guy,

I use the gmake (ver 3.80) on a w2k platform, via the Visual Studios
shell, using cl.exe as the compiler.
When running the make, I add the –j option but the amount of processes
for the cl.exe do no exceed one.

Just to confirm, the -j mode launches multiple processes, (rather than a
single multiple processor execution using threads etc).

Can you tell us which config.h options you used please?  Did you use
sh.exe or cmd.exe to allow make to spawn these multiple jobs?

Can you tell us if your present single cl.exe process is launched via
sh.exe, a bat file or something else? (make uses a script which it then
calls to launch the child process.)

Also, could you confirm that you have sh.exe or cmd.exe accessible from
your PATH please.

Kind regards
JG

--