Re: VPATH problem using make under Windows

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: VPATH problem using make under Windows
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:46:11 -0400

%% Dale Macdonald <address@hidden> writes:

  dm> Finally, this is the output when I run make :

  dm> C:\thorsten>make

  dm> FlagShip PRO (unlimited users)
  dm> (c) Copyright 1989..2004 by multisoft GmbH Munich/Germany
  dm> -- FS compiler phase:
  dm>     6   Pass2: maino.prg
  dm> -- C compiler and linker phase:
  dm> maino.c
  dm> process_begin: CreateProcess((null), rm -f maino.c, ...) failed.
  dm> make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

Hm... ouch.

  dm> FlagShip PRO (unlimited users)
  dm> (c) Copyright 1989..2004 by multisoft GmbH Munich/Germany
  dm> -- FS compiler phase:
  dm> c:/thorsten/common/subfuncs.bp(1): Error, illegal file and procedure
  dm> name
  dm> Invalid switch - "thorsten".ommon/subfuncs.prg

Hm.  This seems to imply that your compile line is malformed.

Why don't you help yourself by removing the .SILENT: rule so you can
actually see the command line that make will be invoking?  I would
assume that the very first step in trying to debug this problem would be
to get make to show what it's doing and verify your assumptions.

Although it's quite possibly true, it's not at all clear to me from
these errors that your problem is really with VPATH at all.

Also, please provide info on exactly which version of GNU make you're
using (run it with the --version option) and where you got it from (from
GNU, through Cygwin, or whatever).

Thanks!