Re: Extending gmake to make it less dependant on the shell

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Extending gmake to make it less dependant on the shell
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 14:25:39 -0500

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  ez> That's true, but IIRC, the criteria for invoking the shell (the
  ez> list of commands known to be shell built-ins, and special
  ez> characters that appear in the rule's command line) are slated
  ez> towards the system shell (sh or csh on Posix platforms, COMMAND
  ez> and CMD on DOS/Windows).  So I'm not sure that using "SHELL =
  ez> /usr/local/bin/perl" will indeed work as well as "SHELL =
  ez> /bin/sh".  Am I missing something?

GNU make tests the value of SHELL, and if doesn't look like it's the
standard Bourne shell (on a UNIX system that means it's not "/bin/sh")
then it doesn't even bother trying to use any sort of fastpath
capability.  It will _always_ just invoke the command in SHELL, for
every command line.