sh.exe running twice per job

From: J. Grant
Subject: sh.exe running twice per job
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:46:01 +0000

Hello

When running w32 build of "make -j8" I noticed that for each command,
sh.exe is running once with the command in a c:\tmp\temp3453.sh style
file, and then once again before the exe in the makefile rule contents.
I can view this in Process Explorer on win2k.

The process tree looks somewhat like the following:

make -j8
   sh.exe -c c:\tmp\temp3453.sh
      sh.exe
         testprogram.exe -l test00

(There are all the other 7 processes part of the job also running like this)

Why does sh.exe need to run twice?

Kind regards

JG