Re: Patch fix for build_w32.bat

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Patch fix for build_w32.bat
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 06:49:32 -0500

%% Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

  >> Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:13:28 -0500
  >> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
  >>
  >> As I think I mentioned before, the template files are not shipped with
  >> GNU make.  They are present in the CVS sources only; they get converted
  >> into the "real" files (with the .template) by replacing various special
  >> tokens.  The "real" files are the ones that are put into the
  >> distribution, so those are the ones that the script has to deal with.

  ez> Perhaps the batch file needs to detect the absence of the "real"
  ez> files and generate them on the fly from the templates.

  ez> Alternatively, we could have a special batch file for building a CVS
  ez> checked-out tree.

Well, the .template translation is normally handled by the parts of the
configure/make system that are run during the creation of a
distribution.  It all happens automatically in UNIX.

Currently building out of CVS is not supported unless you have a working
autoconf, automake, gettext, and their prerequisites (m4, perl, etc.).
There are probably other UNIX-isms in that part of the GNU make setup.