Re: Newbie problems?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Newbie problems?
Date: 11 Nov 2003 08:00:49 +0200

> From: "Sauder, Vernon" <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:34:09 -0500
>
> There is a problem with GNU make 3.80 in that "move" is not recognized as a
> command that needs the shell.

I don't maintain the Windows port of Make, but I suspect that the fact
that `move' was omitted is because not all versions of Windows have it
as a built-in shell command.  Some versions have it as an external
program, still others don't have it at all.

A work-around, as pointed out by someone else, is to use "cmd /c move"
instead.

In fact, due to the proliferation of non-standard shells on Windows
machines, I'd advise to always prepend "cmd /c" (or "command.com /c",
as the case may be) to any such commands.  This makes Makefiles more
robust and portable.