Re: Newbie problems?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: Newbie problems?
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:05:03 -0500

%% Greg Chicares <address@hidden> writes:

  >> %.obj:%.c
  >>     cl500 $(COPT) -fr$(OBJDIR) -i\progs\c54x\ -cg -i$(INCDIR) $<

  gc> I'll guess that $(OBJDIR) uses backslash '\' rather than forward
  gc> slash '/'. Maybe make is trying to interpret '\' as a *nix escape
  gc> character instead of a msw path separator.  Try using forward
  gc> slashes instead--many msw compilers accept that.

GNU make doesn't interpret any slashes at all, either forward or
backslashes.  The only character that is special to make (in a command
script) is "$".

However, it's still a very good idea to use forward slashes in all make
commands.  As you point out, almost all Windows programs ack slashes.

Problems like yours are, in my experience, most often related to what
shell make is invoking to run the commands.  Be sure you read the
README.W32 file that comes with GNU make and understand how your version
was built and what shell it will use.  I don't have a Windows system
anywhere to test with so that's about all the advice I can give :(.