Re: GNU make woes! [WAS:Re: Problem with FOR statements in command lines

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: GNU make woes! [WAS:Re: Problem with FOR statements in command lines?]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 00:36:46 -0500

%% "Manu" <address@hidden> writes:

  m> Earnie Boyd wrote:
  >> Nothing really special about the port.

  m> My 0.02$.
  m> I'm desperate to see that your changes were
  m> not merged to CVS.

  m> I don't see what is controversial.

Nothing.  I've been asking for a complete, official patch to implement
MING support for many months now.  People have been saying "Oh Manu has
a patch", or "Earnie has a patch", or "well, my patch does part of the
job but not all of the job", etc.

I don't have a Windows box, even, much less a Windows box with MINGW on
it.  I have to rely completely on others to provide support for those
platforms.  And, I need them to commit to continuing to support them,
particularly when the changes are made to other ports which are already
available (Windows32 in this case).

I need a straightforward, all-in-one, this is it patch or set of
patches, and I need some reassurance that the changes won't break other
things (like the W32 port).

Is there one person or mailing list for a set of people who will provide
the One True, Complete Patch, and be responsible for making sure it
works?

The last I heard from you was on 18 July 2003, when you were going to
"update [your] CVS copy and see what Earnie submitted."  The last I
heard from Earnie was on 30 May 2003; he put some patches on the
Savannah site but there was some kind of problem with the SHELL
variable.  None of these things sound to me like the port is complete
yet.  If I'm wrong about that, I apologize.

If the patches Earnie currently has submitted to the Savannah site are
the right ones and there are no other updates necessary, then I'll
integrate those.