tricks in GNU make

From: Michael Mounteney
Subject: tricks in GNU make
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 21:07:59 +0100

This message is not specific to GNU make on Win-32 but it might be especially
useful on that platform, since I offer a method of circumventing restricted
command line length.  A side-effect of my method is the ability to perform
arithmetic in macros.

From time to time the enquiry is made:  `how can I pass a long list of
arguments to a command in Windows, since that platform only allows `short'
command lines ?'  Here is one suggestion.

Generally the user wants a method of breaking up a long macro and iteratively
passing it in chunks to the command.  However, make is a functional language
and therefore iteration is meaningless in it.  In fact, in the course of
devising this message, I realised more and more the similarity of make and
Haskell in thier approach to programming.  Make is even less efficient at
arithmetic, in my method, as we will see.

What my approach does is break a long macro into a fixed number of parts, here
3.

First, an example macro that we want to break up.

biglist=one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve
thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty

Then, five `utility' macros, the first three being functions.

multiply=$(foreach I,$(1),$(2:%=$(I)%))
stripzero=$(patsubst 0%,%,$(1))
generate=$(call stripzero,$(call stripzero,$(call multiply,$(1),$(call
multiply,$(1),$(1)))))
forwards:=$(call generate,0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9)
backwards:=$(call generate,9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0)

Here's (some of) the arithmetic.  Add more to taste:

plus=$(word $(2),$(wordlist $(1),99999,$(wordlist 3,99999,$(forwards))))
gt=$(filter $(2),$(wordlist $(1),99999,$(forwards)))

Very clever.  Now to break up that big list of names:

tagged=$(join $(wordlist 1,$(words $(1)),$(patsubst %,1: 2: 3:,$(1))),$(1))
untag=$(patsubst $(1):%,%,$(filter $(1):%,$(2)))

Calculate this once, for efficiency:

taglist:=$(call tagged,$(biglist))

Right, now show off the fancy effects.

all:
        @echo $(call plus,4,7)
        @echo $(if $(call gt,4,7),is,is not)
        @echo $(if $(call gt,7,4),is,is not)
        @echo $(taglist)
        @echo $(call untag,1,$(taglist))
        @echo $(call untag,2,$(taglist))
        @echo $(call untag,3,$(taglist))

If you want to e-mail me directly about this, substitute landcroft for
wrandyke.demon in the reply address.

I hope the above helps someone.