Re: Help required in gnumake

From: beginner beginner
Subject: Re: Help required in gnumake
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 05:25:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
   Thanks I got the probelm of Space and TAB.
As per http://www.gnu.org/manual/make-3.77/html_chapter/make_16.html It says
for error `commands commence before first target. Stop.'

"
This means the first thing in the makefile seems to be part of a command
script: it begins with a TAB character and doesn't appear to be a legal make
command (such as a variable assignment). Command scripts must always be
associated with a target. The second form is generated if the line has a
semicolon as the first non-whitespace character; make interprets this to mean
you left out the "target: dependency" section of a rule.
"

Now if I type OFFICIAL = 10 after TAB it works
but if I type echo after TAB it does not work

Please help.

Thanks