RE: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenghtlimitations

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenghtlimitations
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 11:55:07 -0400

%% "Ron.E.Gaskins" <address@hidden> writes:

  reg> The following is from the GNUMAKE documents edition 0.60 last
  reg> updated 08-JUL-02 for make version 3.80.  It was the only $(eval)
  reg> example I found.

  reg>      $(foreach prog,$(PROGRAMS),$(eval $(call PROGRAM_template,$(prog))))

  reg> I thought the echo version I gave followed this syntax rule.

You have to look at the difference between the PROGRAM_template value
and the "echo" command.

The PROGRAM_template value is a complete, syntactically correct fragment
of a makefile (after the $(call...) function expands it anyway).  If you
took that text and put it into a makefile by itself and read it with
make, it would not give you any syntax errors.

On the other hand, if you take your echo line and put into a makefile by
itself and read it with make, you would get the same error you get when
you use it with eval (missing separator) because it, by itself, is not a
valid makefile.