RE: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenght limitations

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: RE: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenght limitations
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 17:24:23 -0400

%% "Ron.E.Gaskins" <address@hidden> writes:

  reg> Problems with $(EVAL):

  reg> Assume a legacy application, APPX, that accepts one filename as
  reg> an argument.  I need GNUMAKE to call APPX for each file in
  reg> $(FILES).  If I solve this problem I also have resolution to the
  reg> above problem of command line too long for the erasing of
  reg> multiple files.  It appears that the $(EVAL) is just what I need
  reg> to do the job.  However, the syntax rules do not agree with my
  reg> documentation.  Is the following correct?

  reg> $(foreach FILE, $(FILES), $(eval echo))

No.  You are misunderstanding the purpose of eval.

Eval is meant to allow you to write little parts of a makefile
"dynamically".  That is, everything you eval must be a syntactically
complete part of a makefile: the makefile parser will be invoked on that
part just as if it were a separate file and you used "include" to
include it.

In order to use Eval for this you'd have to generate a single rule that
contained multiple echo commands, then eval the whole thing one time.