RE: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenght limitations

From: Ron.E.Gaskins
Subject: RE: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenght limitations
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:26:12 -0500

Background:
GNUMAKE 3.80 on a Windows 2000 platform built with MSVC.

Experiment to determine size of command buffer:
Have not determined exact size yet but appears to be around 2K.  The attached
(results1.txt) captures an experiment to erase multiple files.  While the
command line is lengthy, it does not approach the 6K boundary indicated in
previous e-mail.

 <<results1.txt>>

Problems with $(EVAL):
Assume a legacy application, APPX, that accepts one filename as an argument.  I
need GNUMAKE to call APPX for each file in $(FILES).  If I solve this problem I
also have resolution to the above problem of command line too long for the
erasing of multiple files.  It appears that the $(EVAL) is just what I need to
do the job.  However, the syntax rules do not agree with my documentation.  Is
the following correct?

$(foreach FILE, $(FILES), $(eval echo))

The above results in "missing separator" error.  Is there a better solution?
Please advise.