Re: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenght limitations

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help with GNUMAKE on PC platform - command line lenght limitations
Date: 31 Jul 2003 08:00:48 +0200

> Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 09:50:01 -0500
> From: "Ron.E.Gaskins" <address@hidden>
>
> >What version of Windows is that?  I think all modern Windows versions allow
> >much longer command lines.
>
> Windows 2000.  If I bring up a command window and start typing the buffer
> fills up around 2K characters and ignores the keyboard.

That's a different matter: the size of the shell's keyboard input
buffer has very little to do with the maximum length of command lines
it can accept from another program.

So please try invoking, say, the ECHO command (or some other harmless
Windows program) from within Make with long command lines, and see
what maximum length of commands you can use there.

> What about the GNUMAKE $(eval) command?  It seems to be exactly what I need
> but it is not completely documented and when I attempt to use it I always get
> a "missing separator" error.  Any thoughts about $(eval)?

What did you try, exactly, and what did Make complain about?

Btw, please don't remove the mailing list from the CC: header, as
others could chime into this thread.