make called from win32 app...

From: Peter Yamamoto
Subject: make called from win32 app...
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 02:33:41 -0700

I've seen other posts on the net about this but no real resolution...

we have an app that calls nmake which calls a batch file which calls gnu make.
The other posts simply have apps that call gnu make so I don't think the issue
is the nmake/batch/gnu make, its the app->...->gnumake...

The error is:

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 7.00.9466

        animation\build\test.bat

F:\bsi\dev\baseball\wsb2003\build>setlocal

F:\bsi\dev\baseball\wsb2003\build>cd
F:\bsi\dev\baseball\wsb2003\build\animation\build

F:\bsi\dev\baseball\wsb2003\build\animation\build>make -f test.mak
echo Hello building all
process_easy: DuplicateHandle(In) failed (e=6)
make: Interrupt/Exception caught (code = 0xc0000005, addr = 0x41c63d) NMAKE :
fatal error U1077: 'animation\build\test.bat' : return code '0xff'
Stop.

I've tried a couple of versions of gnu make with same result.

Does anybody know what is going wrong? The internet posts do refer to the issue
being the STDIN handle that is being passed to the CreateProcess or some such...

Any help appreciated, please cc: me in a reply since I got this email from one
of the internet posts related to this but I don't know how/where to join the
mailing list...

Thank you,
Peter

Note that the makefile is very simple. The other posts talk about what
compliler is being called etc but I think it simply has to do with the shell
invocation from gnu make, it doesn't seem to matter what command the rule is
trying to execute.