Re: Released: mingw32-make-3.80.0-1.exe

From: Manu
Subject: Re: Released: mingw32-make-3.80.0-1.exe
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 13:32:30 +0200

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Manu wrote:
[...]
> > I'm not sure that I can help much now. (I've submitted my idea 6 months
> > ago)
>
> Are they one this list?

Yes.

> > Anyway, if I'm able to do something useful, I'll be pleased to do it.
> >
> > Currently, I have found a potential problem, but I don't know yet if I'm
> > just doing something wrong. I'll report that later.
> >

> Do any of your changes address issues with finding the GNUmakefile or
> Makefile?

No, it was only to configure and build.

> It seems to me that the directory walking and hashing is
> broken for the WINDOWS32 code.  I'm trying to debug it now but perhaps
> you have already.

No, but I've found another issue. It seems that the SHELL variable is broken.

With make 3.79:
===========
GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for mingw32
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000
 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Report bugs to <address@hidden>.

Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
find_and_set_shell setting default_shell = C:/Dev/Visual-MinGW/bin/sh.exe
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this function sets the shell variable.

Reading makefile `_deps/file1.Po' (search path) (don't care) (no ~ expansion)...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `_deps/file1.Po'.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `_deps/file1.Po'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `file1.Po'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `_deps/file1.Po.c'.
[...]

With Make 3.80:
============
GNU Make 3.80
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Reading makefiles...
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
^^^ Ooops, the shell variable is not set !!!

Reading makefile `_deps/file1.Po' (search path) (don't care) (no ~ expansion)...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `_deps/file1.Po'.
  Looking for an implicit rule for `_deps/file1.Po'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `file1.Po'.
  Trying implicit prerequisite `_deps/file1.Po.c'.
  Trying pattern rule with stem `file1.Po'.
[...]

I'll try to find out what's wrong here.

Manu.