Re: SHELL on W2K (gmake 3.79.1) is cmd.exe

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: SHELL on W2K (gmake 3.79.1) is cmd.exe
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:50:39 -0500

Parish wrote:
Paul D. Smith wrote:

You might be using the Cygwin port of GNU make?  Note that that version
behaves differently than the standard GNU make for Windows.

Yes, he is, but then so am I, and my system works.

BTW, in another thread in this NG, "SHELL variable causing /c: error message on NT", which appears to be a similar problem, the advice to to use the cygwin version of make.

Paul's comment was to lead you back to the Cygwin list for support. If Cygwin has a version of source that doesn't match the official source then how can this list help since this list doesn't know those changes.

However, it's not rocket science. When --win32 is given then expect to use the COMSPEC shell syntax, the command line switch overrides the MAKE_MODE environment variable and MAKEFLAGS just passes to children make processes in the command argv. So the result will be that the parent operates in --unix mode while it's children operate in --win32 mode. Make sure to remove the --win32 from the MAKEFLAGS variable.

Earnie.