Re: make problem ?

From: root
Subject: Re: make problem ?
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 17:03:37 +0000

Paul,

Thanks for your time/reply.

> Please do not send huge attachments like your GNU make binary or your
> complete source code to the mailing list.  We do not have the resources
> to debug your entire environment for you.

Sorry for that, usually people ask for everything, so that they can be sure
to work on the same problem, so I just sent it by default.

The source code is not all that large, and I think quite irrelevent to the
problem. This source only has a main() and 1 other function, but it has
cross-platform support.

I have reduced it to a minimum and included it again - soft2.zip

> If you have a problem please reproduce it using the smallest makefile
> that shows the behavior you are concerned about, and requiring only
> simple tools, then send that.

All you need is 'make'.

> Also please show an actual invocation of GNU make (exactly what you
> typed) and the exact output errors that make generated; don't
> paraphrase.  If make generates lots of output just show the parts that
> fail and 10 or so lines of context around that.

>make
make.exe[1]: Entering directory `c:/pll/p4/rip/software/front/src'
gcc -g -DRMS_TRACE_MODE_DEBUG=1  -I. -I../../pim/src -c -o read_dxf.o
read_dxf.c
ld --no-undefined -r read_dxf.o -o FRONT.O
make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `c:/pll/p4/rip/software/front/src'
No command name seen.
make.exe: *** [front/src/FRONT.O] Error -1

>make clean
make.exe[1]: Entering directory `c:/pll/p4/rip/software/front/src'
make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `c:/pll/p4/rip/software/front/src'
make.exe: *** [clean] Error -1

> Finally, questions about the GNU make port to Windows will often get
> more knowledgeable responses if you send them to the address@hidden
> list, which is specifically for users of the Windows port.

OK, CC'd there - new people please see below.

Thanks,
John.

---- original question ----

I can't tell you what the bug is, but I have a problem in this make
compilation.

Source code attached - soft.zip

When I compile under Linux (GNU Make version 3.79.1), all is OK.

When I compile under Win2000 (GNU Make version 3.79.1, taken from the djgpp
binaries, attached), it goes into the first module (front) and makes it, then
exits the directory, then I get the error:

No command name seen.

and it exits error -1

Please can you tell me if this is my error, or a bug in make ?

Thanks,
John.

----

ps. the idea of this makefile is to build a project out of several modules,
each in its own sub-directory. If there is a better way to do this, or a
more standard (normal) style of makefile(s), then please send me an
example.