Re: problem using make 3.80 with Window NT4 OS

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: problem using make 3.80 with Window NT4 OS
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 10:32:46 -0500

address@hidden wrote:
Hello Earnie,
-8<-

But now, I have got a new problem. I can't realise the following sequence (which works almost fine with the sh.exe file in my PATH; see previous e-mail).
#------------------------------------------------------------------
#   Generate lnk linker locator file according to $(TARGETOPT)
#       (Emulation or Simulation).
#------------------------------------------------------------------
$(APP_NAME).lnk : Makefile
        @echo "+++Generating linker file ..."
        @echo "objects:" > Temp1.tmp
        for obj in '$(OBJS)' ; do echo "$$obj" >> Temp1.tmp ; done
        @echo "libraries:" >> Temp1.tmp
        @for lib in '$(LIBS)' ; do echo "$$lib" >> Temp1.tmp ; done

The following error occurs :
        obj was unexpected at this time.
        make: *** [IDCS_TST.lnk] Error 255

It means that the echo command does not work as expected :-((((. Thus, I used the bash.exe file in my PATH. Did you have any idea ?

You assume it's echo that is the problem. Without a Bourne compatible sh.exe the $obj isn't understood by the COMSPEC. COMSPEC needs to see ``echo %obj%'' instead. When doing shell commands you must comply with the syntax for the shell in use.

In addition, should I compile all the GNU executables files (delivered with the GNU CD-ROM) under the win32 target or not ?

Uhm, I don't know.  I've never seen the CD.

Earnie.