Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:55:13 -0400

%% Soren A <address@hidden> writes:

  >> Correct, although in most other versions of make VPATH is not that
  >> useful.  Consider: VPATH only modified automatic variables.  But in most
  >> makes (as you pointed out earlier) most of the automatic variables, like
  >> $< etc., are not defined in explicit rules.
  >>
  >> So.... you can't use VPATH in conjunction with explicit rules!  How
  >> bogus is that?

  sa> WAY bogus! ;-). I cannot believe that. Is that some lame attempt
  sa> to make their 'make' look like it's comparable to GNU's, or what?
  sa> And I thought only M$ was prone to that sort of
  sa> fake-feature-fluff. SillyByGosh.

Actually, VPATH was first invented in SysV make.  They just didn't do a
very good job of it (IMO anyway).  I guess it's still useful if all you
use is suffix rules--but that's pretty limited definition of useful.