Re: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make

From: Soren A
Subject: Re: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:33:29 +0000 (UTC)

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> wrote around 25 Sep 2002
news:address@hidden:

> Probably everyone reading this understands all this perfectly well and
> I'm just beating a dead horse so... I'll be quite now :).

I am quite sure that not everyone reading right now and also later
(especially now that this List and others are hooked up with Gmane so
they can look like newsgroups and be searched readily) understood the
issue you have explained clearly, if at all. There are always newbies
about and VPATH and it's purposes is far from intuitive for newbies.

Also I want at this time to plug Paul's Website:

  http://www.paulandlesley.org/make/multi-arch.html

which will open the eyes of some who read it. Paul's system for using
GNU make is very ingenious and slick. Highly recommended. Even some
old-timers who think they have their own system 'down pat' may find
themselves 'converted' to a better way.

I'll also, for orthogonality, plug my own website now:

  http://home.att.net/~perlspinr/makefiles/makefileworkshop.html

   Best,
     Soren A