[Fwd: Re: Useful patch for GNUmake on Windows]

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Useful patch for GNUmake on Windows]
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:34:04 -0400

-- Rob Tulloh spouted:
> Isn't this already enabled through setting of SHELL? Wouldn't it be
preferable to just define SHELL to be the full path to the sh.exe rather
than adding another search criteria? I am not fully opposed to this
patch, but I wonder if the current functionality in make is sufficient
to enable this sort of desired behavior. It's not exactly equivalent --
you have to define SHELL in the environment -- but it has the same
result of giving the user full control over what path to SHELL they
desire.

> Thoughts?

I don't like the impetus of this patch either.  Besides what Rob has
pointed out, I don't like always spawning files based on the location of
where the parent lives.  I think we have enough cludges here already, I
would rather, remove some, not add to what is there.

Earnie.